Anta Ad Sound Replacement Wrap Up!

Update 13/07:

Last week I received feedback from the class. In regards to the composition, ‘Less is more,’ meaning maybe don’t add in too much more like I was originally going to. Also that maybe because my composition isn’t fast-paced like the brief asked for, the client might not be happy with it, but then again they might appreciate another creative individual’s spin on their idea. I also received that some of the sounds were a bit too random. Even though this was in the brief, some people thought it was a bit off-putting, so I will address this before uploading to my portfolio. Also, only to use the ‘accent’ sounds once, as if I keep repeating them it doesn’t work/loses credibility. The last thing was that maybe I could add something in for the audience to come back to, as in a certain riff or short phrase that will get stuck in their head.

In answer to this feedback, I will be developing my composition a little bit, but not to be super fast-paced like I originally was going to. I might just add a bit of a subtle pulse in the background, with maybe a signature sound that the audience can remember. I also will more carefully time the sounds in the composition, so that they don’t seem too random, and will not reuse the accent sounds.

Original:

Over the past few weeks I’ve been knuckling down, getting a number of project completed, so I do apologise for being M.I.A! This week is the wrap up of my Anta Sound Replacement project. I must say that I felt that I let myself down a little bit with the final product, but I’ll get to that later! For the finished product, see here.

Over the past couple of weeks, Gabby and I have shared sessions to work separately on our Anta blogs. This was great because it meant we could bounce off each other and give feedback; the downfall of this arrangement was that, because we’re working on two other projects together as well, we would get caught up talking about them and not focus on the project at hand.

As we recorded our sessions in 5.1 and originally planned to mix in 5.1, a majority of our sessions were booked in the Avid S6, with one in the C24. The latter was great to use because of the scrubber on the desk, so you could get an extremely precise placement of the Foley. The Avid also has a knob that looks like a scrubbing tool but I’m not actually sure if it is, or how to use it; this is something I may research at a later date. The Avid S6 is acoustically much better, and for a very bassy, reverby mix you don’t want sounds bouncing all over the place, which is why most of the sessions were in the S6.

I really enjoyed doing the sound design for this project, I did a lot of time shifting to slow down sounds, and reversing. I feel that in this aspect I really met the brief of the ‘space’ type sounds. We also recorded all of our sounds apart from the foot squeaks, which were sourced from Freesound.Org. The smashing glass sound was recorded by us in the past, and was repurposed for this project, both for the ball smashing the ground/glass, and by reversing and slowing it down to create the sound at 0.16 secs.

cw_m700xm700_timeShift.jpg
Time Shift
Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 10.44.44 am.png
Reverse

An area that I really let myself down in this was the composition. I found it difficult to try to meet the ‘hi-tech, fast-paced, accentuated’ part of the brief while also leaving room for the sound design to show through. I used Ableton for the composition because I find that the MIDI process in Pro Tools is a lot more confusing. There are also a lot more instruments more readily available in Ableton. In the end I used three chords in the whole thing, as well as a wobbley bass sound at the beginning, and some sounds from a spacey drum kit. All of the instruments were pre-loaded in Ableton and I did not have to find any on the internet.

Lastly, the desire to mix in 5.1 fizzled out because of my difficulties with the composition. The issues made the project run a bit later than I first expected, and I therefore felt that I didn’t want to add the unfamiliar element of 5.1 if I didn’t have enough time to execute it properly.

All in all this project has been a great learning experience. Through it I have been introduced to the Avid S6 desk, and film much more comfortable using it. I also have done more manipulative sound design, and learnt that its probably best to start with a minimalistic composition that you can build on, otherwise it may get in the way of the sound design!

As always, thanks for reading!

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s