Listen to all assets here!
We have recently been given some feedback about our finished project and would just like to share my thoughts on it!
I totally agree with the pitch shifting situation, and that is kind of exactly what we did, speaking in a low voice and then pitch shifting it down, so that’s a good tip to remember about pitch shifting. As far as just recording a guy, looking back we could have easily done that, but I think for some reason at the time it’s not really something that we thought about, we were focussed more on the recording than the actual speaking and when it came to our session, one of us had to do it. Maybe because it was the first time we ever did ADR we accidentally forgot to think about the most important bit? Great learning curve though. With the levels on some of the Foley, we did actually notice these and try to fix it up, and listen through our laptop speakers as well as decent headphones to make sure it worked on multiple speakers; however obviously we still didn’t get it quite right. I’m still pretty happy with our final project and despite the bumps in the road and also not having done very much of this kind of thing before I think we did well and learnt some valuable lessons for next time!
It’s been a pretty fun 6 weeks, and I am pleased to say our sound replacement for the Simpsons clip is complete! Below is the original followed by the replaced one for your enjoyment:
During the past week, we asked for some feedback from our peers, and this is what we got:
With Callums feedback and also after listening back to the video without a decent pair of headphones on, we realised that some of the sounds needed to be raised, because you couldn’t hear some of the quieter ones. I was also really happy with James’ feedback about the flying dinosaur screech (0.45-0.49 secs), because it was something that I was pretty excited to work on. Something that I’ve actually only just noticed this morning, is what Fraser was talking about with the lights on the toaster. Originally we thought he was referring to the time warp sound that’s in time with the yellow light, so we didn’t change it because we thought it was already in time and everything. I’ve now realised that he was actually talking about the toaster lights at 0.11 seconds, which do look like they should have a sound. So from that I’ve learnt that if you think someone’s feedback doesn’t make sense to you, ask them for a bit of clarification so that you can be sure you know what they are talking about.
The biggest issue we had to overcome throughout this project was definitely when one team member wasn’t as available as the others. This made it very difficult to equally spread the workload out, especially as the team member had to go away the week of the projects deadline. This left the rest of the team a bit let down, and we had to reorganise ourselves and adjust to be able to meet the deadline. From this experience though I definitely learnt that there needs to be clear communication throughout the entire project, so everybody is aware with what is going on and how much available time everybody has. It also further my skills in learning how to adapt to a new schedule and work under pressure.
Something I really enjoyed about the project was the sound design aspect. This is something that I’ve done a little bit of before, but not really to that extent. As I mentioned above, I really liked the flying dinosaur screech at 0.45-0.49 secs, which we made by recording my cat meowing, pitching it down, warping it and EQing. I thought it fit in really well with the visuals. Another sound I really liked was the time warp sound which you first hear at 0.19-0.24 seconds. This sound was one of the evolving instruments from Ableton.
As far as our plan went, we followed it pretty thoroughly until the last couple of weeks when one of our team members had to go away (see plan here), and the others had to compensate for the new workload. I found that having all of the Foley set out in that table with the times of where it needed to be was super helpful for the recording process, because we could tick off what we had done as we went along. Something that we didn’t follow very well was the roles of each team member. For example the composition was supposed to be for Keely and Gabby, but me and Keely worked on 2 of them and Gabby and I worked one the last one. I also feel that Gabby more took on the role of file management, rather than Keely, while Keely was on the desk/DAW more, so those roles switched around a bit. I think next time to help clarification and communication, it would be good for everybody to stick to their roles, so that if something doesn’t get done there is one person to hold responsible rather than everyone thinking that someone else was going to do it.
All in all I’d say our project went quite smoothly, and I’m really happy with our outcome. I’ve had the lesson reinforced that things don’t always go to plan, and that it’s really quite difficult to get multiple people’s schedules to line up, so you really have to make sure that you’re dedicated to working on the project. I really enjoyed the sound design aspect of it, especially making the dinosaur noises (even though apparently dinosaurs didn’t roar at all, but in fact cooed, sounding more like birds or ducks, see the article here and watch the video below).
I have a few more projects lined up for the next few weeks, so stay tuned and as always, thanks for reading!