Progress Report – Project 1

As mentioned in my last blog post, the goals for week 3 and 4 for project 1 have now been combined into week 4. As week 4 comes to a close, I can happily say that we were mostly successful.

On Monday, we had a session in the Post Pro, where we recorded our foley sounds. We used a Rode NT2 to record. The Sound Design list previously uploaded to this blog was used as a guide. The only one we changed was the ‘parachute pop,’ which is where the parachute pops out of the character’s bag. We found that the sound of a wheelie chair going up/down achieved the sound we were looking for far better than a running tap.

zoom_h6_handy_audio_recorder_967366
(Zoom H6, 2016)
h76023000000000-00-500x500
(Rode NT2, 2016)

For the ‘kids chatter’ and ‘tweeting birds’ we used the Zoom H6. The tweeting birds was easy to get, however because of other noises in the area, we had to loop the sound within the actual video so as not to have extraneous noises. The kids chatter we had a bit of trouble with, because we went to the cafeteria to record and there was hardly anyone in there. We actually ended up using sound recorded as we walked into one of our classes in the theatrette, which worked a lot better. However, the same as with the tweeting birds, we had to loop the sound, because we had people talking too close to the mic that stood out too much in the recording. To an untrained ear and also to someone who hasn’t listened to the sounds over and over again, the loop will be inconspicuous.

On Tuesday the Foley was mixed and edited to be in time with the video, and Keely used Ableton to begin the composition, in the key of C Major. A Tuba and 2 Alto Saxophones were used. On Wednesday we went into the MIDI studio again and added some percussion using the Roland TR8. Even though we accomplished what we needed to in the end, we had a lot of issues during our session. First of all, the instruments that we originally had in our session were apparently not available on the computer in that studio. Therefore, we had to change the instruments in order to be able to hear what had already been composed. We also had issues with our signal flow (again) in getting the hardware synth into Ableton and out the speakers. We actually spent a good two hours asking the tech team and classmates for help until we finally got it working (shout out to Jonny!). Jonny had a template for a session already set up with the signal flow for Pro Tools, so Keely and I used that to compare to Ableton and finally got it working. In the end, I think maybe what we had been doing wrong is just not pressing the input button, which is a very stupid mistake to make, but we’ve definitely learnt from that.

roland-aira-tr8
(Roland TR8, 2016)

Overall, with two weeks worth of goals being squished into one week, I feel that we were quite successful. We’ve learnt a lot more about the studios and the Roland TR8, which can definitely be used in future projects. All that is left to do with the deliverables is mix the composition and then get feedback on everything, and tweak if necessary. Next weeks goal is distribution, which should be quite easy.

Thanks for reading!

References

Rode NT2. (2016). Retrieved from http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/rode-microphones-nt2-a-studio-condenser-microphone-bundle

Roland TR8. (2016). Retrieved from http://www.polynominal.com/roland-aira-tr8/

Zoom H6. (2016). Retrieved from https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/967366-REG/zoom_h6_handy_audio_recorder.html

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s